The majority of self-hosted WordPress installations use Apache as opposed to IIS. Therefore, when it came time to change the permalinks for NervousAdmin.com it was a little trickier. That combined with the lack of documentation turned a rather simple process into a few hours of troubleshooting. The guide below is intended to streamline this process for anyone in the future.
- Ensure that URL Re-Write is installed in IIS
- This can be checked via the IIS Administration console, there should be an icon for URL Re-Write as seen here.
- Browse to the root directory where WordPress is installed
- This folder should contain files such as wp-config.php and wp-settings.php
- Create/edit the web.config file
- If creating the web.config file ensure it is created with UTF-8 encoding. Notepa++ is great for easily identifying the encoding for a text file.